The TV Foundation and the Edinburgh TV Festival have announced the winners of the New Voice Awards 2022.
The awards recognise the best undiscovered creatives and the companies who do the most to support them.
In a first for the Awards, a newly introduced category of Best Social Series was voted for by the public. Munya Chawawa, took the prize for his hugely popular, BAFTA nominated YouTube series, Race Around Britain, co-produced by Expectation and Chawawa’s production company, Munz Made It.
Best Web Series went to Stevo theMadMan for his StevotheDadMan Show and Channel 4 scored a double for their On the Edge anthology film, Cradled, as Chloe Wicks received the Victor Adebodun Debut Director Award and Nessah Muthy took home the Best Debut Writer supported by Big Deal Films. Former Premier League footballer turned presenter, Micah Richards, won the Best Debut Presenter Award for his moving documentary, Micah Richards: Tackling Racism from Buzz16 for Sky Documentaries and the Future Presenter Award went to Jameel Shariff.
In the All3Media New Script Award categories, there were wins for Freya Judd for Comedy script ‘God Squad’ and Jenny Takahashi Stark for Drama script ‘Weirdly Normal’. A special commendation went to Laith Elzubaidi for the drama script ‘An Impossible Homecoming’.
ITV won the Best Broadcaster for New Talent Award supported by The Farm and Wall of Productions received the Best Company for New Talent Award, with Bad Wolf getting a Special Commendation in this category. The Best Agency for New Talent went to InterTalent with Gritty Talent getting a Special Commendation.
Campbell Glennie, MD of the Edinburgh TV Festival and TV Foundation said; “The New Voice Awards provide a vital platform to rising stars, helping to launch careers and give recognition to new, undiscovered creative talent from all backgrounds. We also celebrate the companies doing right by those who want to make their voices heard and are invested in their future. We don’t believe in velvet ropes, black tie or VIP areas, this night is for everyone. This year, we’ve had more entries than ever before, and we are delighted to be back in person, in a bigger venue and we have been blown away by the talent here tonight.”
Full list of winners and nominees.
The Victor Adebodun Debut Director Award
The Debut Director Award is named in honour of the late Victor Adebodun. Victor was an alumnus of the Festival’s Ones to Watch Scheme and presented the 2018 Debut Director Award. Victor was a talented director, creative leader and managing director of Purple Geko, an award-winning production company.
This award is for directors who have received their first broadcast credit in 2021.
- Lindsay Konieczny, Sudden Death: My Sister’s Silent Killer, BBC One & BBC 3 (Linear TX)
- Ziyaad Desai, Bad Influencer: The Great Insta Con, BBC1 & BBC3
- Louis Paxton, Ladybaby, BBC Three
- Ashley Walters, Boys, Sky Arts
- Poppy Begum, Queens of Rap, Channel 4
- Chloe Wicks, On The Edge: Cradled, Channel 4
- Theo Krekis, On The Edge: Superdad, Channel 4
- Emily Turner, 24 Hours in Police Custody – The Horror House, Channel 4
Debut Writer supported by Big Deal Films
For writers who have received their first broadcast credit in 2021.
- Julia Cranney, EastEnders, BBC One
- Linda Duncan McLaughlin, River City, BBC Scotland
- Jerome Holder, Boys, Sky Arts
- Bolu Babalola, Big Age, Channel 4
- Nessah Muthy, On The Edge: Cradled, Channel 4
- David Ajao, The Big Breakfast, Channel 4
For presenters who have received their first broadcast credit in 2021.
- Tylor Cartin, Tricked Out Tractors, BBC One Northern Ireland
- Charlie Craggs, Transitioning Teens, BBC Three
- Micah Richards, Micah Richards: Tackling Racism, Sky Documentaries
- Zeze Millz, Unapologetic, Channel 4
- Stuart Douglas, Phil & Kirstie’s Love It or List It, Channel 4’s Black To Front
- Tayo Oguntonade, The Great House Giveaway, Channel 4
Awarded to an aspiring presenter with strong potential.
- Sophie Ward
- Charlotte Cropper
- Salina Zaher
- Jameel Shariff
- Charley Marlowe
- Kate Whitaker
ALL3Media New Script Award – Drama
Awarded to a TV drama script by an unproduced, unrepresented writer.
- Saskia Livingstone
- Kenesha Asiedu
- Suzy Cripps
- Hannah Kelso
- Rayn Epremian
- David Cheung
- MJ Warren
- Abir Mohammad
- Laith Elzubaidi – Special Commendation
- Jenny Takahashi Stark
ALL3Media New Script Award – Comedy
Awarded to a TV comedy script by an unproduced, unrepresented writer.
- Hanna Tatschl
- Benjamin Salmon
- Stella Ajayi
- Simon Kay
- Freya Judd
- Tom Lynas
- Scarlett Kefford
- Olympia Christofinis
Best Social Series:
- Julie’s Top 5
- The Zeze Millz Show
- Secret Sauce
- Does the Shoe Fit
- Celebrity Rebrand
- Race Around Britain
- Blue Therapy
- We Do That with Nella Rose and Harry Pinero
- If I Could Tell You Just One Thing with Patricia Bright
Best Web Series
- Boss Babes – Cassie Smyth
- Betsy & Bella (are cousins) – Annabella Forbes & Bettine Mackenzie,
- Sessions – Jack Harris
- Life In ADHD – A Comedy From The Neurodiverse Universe – Lorelei Mathias & Tristan Alice Nieto
- StevoTheDadMan Show – Stevo TheMadMan,
Best Broadcaster for New Talent Supported by The Farm
- Channel 4
Best Company for New Talent
- Wall of Productions
- Leopard Pictures
- BBC Studios
- Hungry Jay Media
- Nutopia Ltd
- Bad Wolf – Special Commendation
- TriForce Productions Limited
- Big Deal Films
Best Agency for New Talent
- Andrew Roach Talent Ltd
- Gritty Talent – Special Commendation
- Hannah Layton Management
- Mirador Talent Management
Mentor Of The Year:
- Frances Poletti
- Roopesh Parekh
- Aodh Breathnach
- Helen Miller
- Hannah Ruddle
Share this story