Netflix has launched five short documentaries created by recipients of the Documentary Talent Fund.
The filmmakers from across the UK & Ireland, received £30,000 to create a documentary short film on the theme of “connection.” The films were showcased at a premiere event at London’s Ham Yard Hotel lthis week and are now available to watch via Netflix’s YouTube Channel Still Watching which has 6.3 million subscribers.
Kate Townsend, Director, Documentary Film said: “It’s been an absolute pleasure to work with such talented filmmakers and watch each teams ideas blossom into fully formed documentaries. We are immensely proud of the tenacity, grit and creativity demonstrated to get the films made and presented to this final standard of excellence. Each film is an exciting glimpse into the future talent of UK documentarians.”
The Netflix Documentary Talent Fund was created in 2020 to break down barriers of access for emerging filmmakers. The initiative also provides filmmakers with a foundation of knowledge and hands on training to allow them to flourish within their careers.
The films are
- Anna Snowball & Abolfazl Talooni – IRANIAN YELLOW PAGES, Trying to make his new life in London a success, Reza places an advert in an eccentric newspaper and discovers the Iranian community hidden in plain sight.
- Anna Rodgers & Zlata Filipović – TWO MOTHERS, An unusual bond compels an Irish mother to travel to war torn Ukraine in order to bring her former surrogate and her family to safety.
- Caroline Williamson & Troi Lee – TURN UP THE BASS is the inspirational story of Troi Lee, a deaf DJ, founder of “deaf rave” and pioneer of the UK’s deaf music scene. Troi and his team of deaf producers, DJs, MCs, sign singers and dancers will turn up the bass as they celebrate 20 years of deaf raving.
- Logan Rea & Krishna Istha – SPERM DONORS WANTED! follows a transgender performance artist as he interviews hundreds of potential sperm donors live on stage in a quest to find the ultimate connection, one that will enable him and his partner to start their family
- Olivia Smart – BLACK STROKE, Drowning isn’t an option as three people tackle their biggest fear.
Share this story