S4C has confirmed that the tender to produce Gogglebocs Cymru, has been awarded to two Welsh indies, Chwarel and Cwmni Da.

Chwarel, the Bafta winning makers of The Great House Giveaway, for Channel 4 and and Ty am Ddim for S4C, will team up with Caernarfon based production company, Cwmni Da to co-produce the first ever Welsh language version of Channel 4’s and Studio Lambert’s format.  This is the first time Studio Lambert and Channel 4 have licensed the franchise to another UK based broadcaster.  70% of the content will be bilingual Wales based programming (S4C/ITV Wales/BBC Wales), with the remaining 30% coming from UK Network broadcasters and SVods.

The first episode will broadcast in the first week of November and casting is underway now.

“It’s going to absolutely amazing’ said Sioned Wyn, Managing Director of Chwarel. We’ve been waiting a long time for something like this.  The ambition is to make it not only the top-rated show on S4C, but the whole of Wales – and beyond.”

“We’d been talking about working together for a while” said Llion Iwan, Cwmni Da’s Managing Director, so when the franchise for the UK’s most popular TV format came up – it was a dream come true.  Who doesn’t want to work on Gogglebocs! So glad we got it!”

Llinos Griffin-Williams, S4C’s Chief Content Officer said: “Gogglebocs Cymru is set to be a gamechanger for S4C. We are thrilled the hit format has been entrusted to us by Channel 4 and that two of Wales’ dynamic indies are coming together to deliver this familiar, much-loved show. We’re looking for a cast of exciting characters that truly represent a diverse modern Wales. Gogglebox is a brilliant TV format that captures the hearts and minds of a country. We want S4C to be an inclusive exciting home for the very best of world class content that belongs to the whole nation.

Jon Creamer

Share this story

Share Televisual stories within your social media posts.
Be inclusive: Televisual.com is open access without the need to register.
Anyone and everyone can access this post with minimum fuss.