Blackmagic Design was showing a demo of new features for DaVinci Resolve 16 at this year’s NAB Show including a new ‘cut’ page specifically designed for editors that need to work quickly and on tight deadlines.
Designed specifically for editors working on high end fast turn around like commercials and even news cutting, the cut page is all about speed. It comes in addition to the normal edit page in Resolve and has a streamlined interface and new tools.
The cut page lets customers import, edit, trim, add transitions, titles, automatically match colour, mix audio and more.
Blackmagic says the cut page challenges the traditional way of working with innovative yet familiar concepts such as source tape mode and an A/B trim tool. Two modern features that are rooted in the past. The cut page is billed as a means of removing extraneous tools that aren’t always needed and reverting to an older way of working like in the days of tape.
The cut page has a source tape button that replicates the old way of spooling up and down a tape to select shots instead of searching through a bin with hundreds of files “an old fashioned concept that’s completely modernised to help customers find the shots they need fast,” says Blackmagic.
"It’s exciting because we’ve designed a whole new high performance non-linear workflow! The cut page is all about power and speed. Plus, editors that need to work on more complex projects can still use the regular edit page. DaVinci Resolve 16 gives different editors the choice to work the way they want!" said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO.
Also new is the DaVinci Neural Engine which uses deep neural networks and learning, along with artificial intelligence to power new features such as speed warp motion estimation for retiming, super scale for up-scaling footage, auto colour and colour matching, facial recognition and more. The DaVinci Neural Engine is entirely cross-platform and uses the latest GPU innovations for AI and deep learning. The DaVinci Neural Engine provides simple tools to solve complex, repetitive and time consuming problems. For example, it enables facial recognition to automatically sort and organise clips into bins based on people in the shot.
DaVinci Resolve 16 also introduces new adjustment clips that let customers apply effects and grades to clips on the timeline below, quick export can be used to upload projects to YouTube and Vimeo from anywhere in the application, and new GPU accelerated scopes provide more technical monitoring options than before. The updated Fairlight page adds elastic wave alignment so customers can stretch waveforms to precisely sync dialog replacement with video, immersive 3D audio support, new bus tracks, automation previews, dialog sweetening tools and more FairlightFX.
DaVinci Resolve 16 Studio features improvements to existing ResolveFX, along with several new plugins for editors and colourists. There are new ResolveFX plugins for adding vignettes, drop shadows, removing objects, adding analog noise and damage, chromatic aberration, stylising video and more. There are also improvements to the scanline, beauty, face refinement, blanking fill, warper, dead pixel fixer and colourspace transformation plugins. Plus, customers can now view and edit ResolveFX keyframes from the timeline curve editor on the edit page or from the keyframe panel on the colour page.
The DaVinci Resolve 16 public beta is available now for download from Blackmagic’s site.
Here’s Blackmagic’s list of DaVinci Resolve 16 Features
• DaVinci Neural Engine for AI and deep learning features.
• Dual timeline to edit and trim without zooming and scrolling.
• Source tape to review all clips as if they were a single tape.
• Trim interface to view both sides of an edit and trim.
• Intelligent edit modes to auto sync clips and edit.
• Timeline review playback speed based on clip length.
• Built in tools for retime, stabilization and transform.
• Render and upload directly to YouTube and Vimeo.
• Direct media import via buttons.
• Scalable interface for working on laptop screens.
• Create projects with different frame rates and resolutions.
• Apply effects to multiple clips at the same time.
• DaVinci Neural Engine detects faces and auto creates bins.
• Frame rate conversions and motion estimation.
• Cut and edit page image stabilization.
• Curve editor ease in and out controls.
• Tape style audio scrubbing with pitch correction.
• Re-encode only changed files for faster rendering.
• Collaborate remotely with Frame.io integration.
• Improved GPU performance for Fusion 3D operations.
• Cross platform GPU accelerated tools.
• Accelerated mask operations including B-Spline and bitmap.
• Improved planar and tracker performance.
• Faster user and smart cache.
• GPU accelerated scopes with advanced technical monitoring.
• Custom and HSL curves now feature histogram overlay.
• DaVinci Neural Engine auto color and shot match.
• Synchronize SDI output to viewer zoom.
• Mix and master immersive 3D audio.
• Elastic wave audio alignment and retiming.
• Bus tracks with automation on timeline.
• Foley sampler, frequency analyzer, dialog processor, FairlightFX.
• 500 royalty free foley sounds effects.
• Share markers and notes in collaboration workflows.
• Individual user cache for collaborative projects.
• Resolve FX plugins with timeline and keyframes.
Share this story