Subscribe Online  

ITV strikes X Factor deal

ITV strikes X Factor deal
News
Staff Reporter
18 October 2010

ITV looks set to continue its domination of weekend viewing after striking a new three-year deal to keep hit shows The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent on its channels.

As part of the renewed collaboration with Simon Cowell’s Syco Entertainment and FremantleMedia, ITV also said it had secured exclusive UK broadcast rights to the American version of The X Factor and America's Got Talent for ITV2.

The arrangement extends ITV's nine-year relationship with Simon Cowell until 2013. Reports said the deal was worth £20m to Cowell.

Britain's Got Talent will return to ITV1 next spring and The X Factor in autumn 2011. ITV2 will continue to broadcast The Xtra Factor and Britain's Got More Talent.

Cowell said: "I am thrilled this deal has been concluded with ITV to enable our relationship to continue to develop. I am committed to making sure both shows get bigger and better every year.

"I have a lot to thank ITV for; they have been key in making The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent the UK's biggest television shows."

Peter Fincham, ITV director of television, added: "The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent are the shows that have helped define the last decade of television in the UK and have become more than just a talking point: they are a national obsession, and I'm delighted that our viewers can continue to enjoy them on ITV over the next three years."

The two programmes have proved crucial to ITV viewing, with peak audiences of 19.3m for last year's The X Factor final and 19.9m for the Britain's Got Talent Final. ITV said Sunday's second live results show of the seventh series of The X Factor peaked at 15.2m.

Be the first to comment.
 












Televisual Media UK Ltd 48 Charlotte Street London W1T 2NS Tel +44 (0)20 3008 5750 Fax +44 (0)20 3008 5784
©2009 - 2013 Televisual. All rights reserved
Use of this website signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use | Disclaimer